Sunday, July 18, 2010

Georgia, Buy Me Some Peanuts

 

 

Map picture

Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the park, buy me some peanuts ....

And if you cop an attitude, I won't be like Bono and U2. I guess, I will just have to see the game with or without you. Nevertheless, I would prefer that we see the game together.

 

Bobby Cox After all, this is Bobby Cox's last year. Can you believe he has been The Braves manager for 25 years? Wow!

 

 

 

 

 

Leaving Peachtree MARTA Station, it's a short train ride to the next stop, 5 Points Station located at the famous Atlanta Underground.

 

ATL 015 From here, I follow signs to the free MARTA bus shuttle service to Turner Field, home of The Atlanta Braves.

 

 

 

 

“Ice Cold Water, $1.00 …. Ice Cold Water, $1.00”. It's a hot and humid afternoon in Atlanta with temperatures in the high 80's. I am sure this street vendor will make a fortune. Her water is indeed ice cold and quenches her customer's thirst.

 

 

ATL 016 For a total of $2.50, I am on my way with a bus load of fellow baseball fans to take in a night of Braves baseball.

 

 

 

 

 

 

I don't have a ticket for tonight's game and usually never do when I visit an out of town stadium. Most baseball stadiums have a fair amount of seats available and tickets are normally easy to come by, even at the last minute.

This is bus load of baseball fans, maybe someone on board has extra tickets. Why not start my search here?

 

ATL 062 “Tickets, Tickets … “ It doesn’t take long.

I have a $40 ticket for half price.

 

 

 

 

A bargain except the seller tells me, it will force him to sit next to John. A good laugh from his friends that see some poetic justice in it all.Turns out to be a nice group of guys from Alabama.

Arriving at Turner Field about an hour and a half before the first pitch, I am on a little mission to blend in.

From Bangkok to California, Buenos Aires to Vancouver or wherever I travel, I always want to experience where I am as much as I can like a local.

A Braves Jersey, T-Shirt or Hat would fit the bill nicely. At a parking lot souvenir stand I accomplish my mission for $10.00.

 

ATL 023 A blue T-shirt with No.19 Escobar, makes me one of the many Braves fans that are disappointed that their beloved shortstop was just traded two days ago.

I truly feel their pain.

 

 

 

 

ATL 018

I am a happy camper pocketing free samples of a new High Energy Minute Maid Drink. Coincidently, Minute Maid is owned by Coca Cola, an Atlanta institution.

 

 

ATL 025

Although I have not had a major league start since Cleveland, I take a recommendation from one of the “Minute Maid Girls” and head to “The Bull Pen”.

 

ATL 024Pull Pork With Coleslaw                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    

            

 

 

 

                                                                 

This time there are no coaches yelling at me as I whine up with a pull pork sandwich topped with coleslaw and an ice cold Miller Lite.

 

Miller Lite It's going to take a 100 miles per hour fastball to beat this taste. I sure hope they don't call me in for relief because I am enjoying hanging out in this bull pen.

 

 

 

 

 

 

american-flag-2a As silly as it may seem, I am always proud and touched to hear or sing my adopted home's national anthem.

 

 

 

 

A part of baseball tradition, this evening's national anthem is sung by the son of Terry Pendleton, a Braves coach celebrating his 50th birthday.

What a neat tribute by a son that brings cheers from the stadium crowd and makes a father proud.

 

 

ATL 028 Let's play ball!

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

The home team is not doing so well tonight especially the new shortstop, one Mr. Alex Gonzalez.

 

ATL 029 We miss No. 19, Escobar.

 

 

 

 

 

Conversations with my neighbors about Nick Saban, Alabama football and Lebron James playing in Miami eases our pain.

Late in the game, the Braves gives the crowd some excitement loading the bases.

 

ATL 035 We abandon our political correctness and sensitivities.

Soon 20,000 plus fans are doing “The Tomahawk”.

 

 

 

Not able to capitalize on our situation, we let the Milwaukee Brewers walk away with the win. The final score 9 to 3.

Knowing we will have a chance for redemption tomorrow night, we are still in a good mood.

 

ATL 045

About 20 minutes after the game ends, the stadium goes dark then night sky explodes.

Bombs bursting in the air, it's Publix Friday Night Fireworks at Turner Field.

 

ATL 052 The area around Hank Aaron drive lights up and had I not known any better I would have thought we just won another World Championship.

 

 

 

 

More, “Ice Cold Water $1.00, Ice Cold Water $1.0” as I leave Turner Field for a free Marta shuttle bus ride back to 5 Points Station. Not a bad evening for under $50.

It's a nice evening as I disembark at 5 Points Stations. Joining a few other fans from the game, I stroll along Forsyth Street towards my hotel near MARTA Peachtree Station and save $2.50.

For most people, a night at the ballpark, fireworks and a late evening walk would complete a night out on the town.

 

Rock Star But then I hear, “We all wanna be Big Big Rock Stars ...”

 

 

 

 

 

Is there Red Bull being pumped into the city? All of a sudden my feet has wings as I follow my ears to Metro Cafe Diner.

 

ATL 078 Located on corner of Peachtree Center Ave and Andrew Young International Drive.

 

 

 

 

 

Metro offers 24 hour dining (The Chicken Wrap was good) and your chance to be a “Big, Big Rock Star” 7 Days A Week.

With over 21,000 songs available how can you resist?

So you don't feel like being a Rock Star? Well, have I still got a deal for you.

 

ATL 074 How about I be “The Rock Star” and you and about five of your friends come help me eat a “Mile High” Carrot, Chocolate or Strawberry Short Cake?

 

 

 

 

 

 

ATL 069 Can you say CHOCOLATE?

 

 

 

 

 

 

ATL 072 My Favorite, Strawberry “Tall” Short Cake!

 

 

Atlanta 001 What, you want me to audition first?

“Where it began, I can't remember but ..”

 

 

 

 

At first, I thought I might lose my NAACP membership singing a Neil Diamond song in Atlanta . The crowd participation eases my fears. I think I even see Rev Jackson and Al Sharpton in the audience, reaching out, touching me, touching you. Moving!

Later, all my fears are removed when another NAACP member does “Purple Haze”. Wow, what courage.

My little meteorology knowledge tells me that temperatures are suppose to fall as the evening goes on.

 

Atlanta 002 Something is definitely a mist here as the temperature is rising and No.19 Escobar is dripping in sweat.

 

 

 

Does it have something to do with “The Humpty Dumpty Dance” or Sir Mix A Lot's, “I Like Big Butts And I Cannot Lie”?

 

ATL 065

 

This requires further investigation that lasts until the wee, wee, wee, wee hours of the morning. It is indeed cooler outside as I leave Metro Cafe but I think inside the temperature is still rising. Oh, what a night.

I must now re-write the “7th Inning Stretch Song”.

Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the park, buy me some peanuts and Cracker Jack, Atlanta Georgia, Please Let Me Come Back!

 

.

No comments: