Monday, September 13, 2010

Tennessee, Home Of A True Friend

 

 

Map picture

 

Surprisingly my recent visit to Nashville, Tennessee gave me not only a history lesson but a friendship lesson as well.

It is a beautiful night in “Music City USA” as I exit Interstate 40 in my Alamo Rental Car for a visit to the state capital area. Except for the homeless congregating near the Tennessee War Memorial the area is practically abandoned on this pleasant  Monday evening.

However, surrounded by high end hotels like The Renaissance and Hermitage Hotel along with The Tennessee Performing Arts Center nearby, I envision this area being quite alive on the weekends.

 

Sam 004 Below the steps of the State Capital building I am moved by a statue and plaque honoring one of Tennessee’s fallen sons.

“I would die a thousand deaths before I betray a friend”

 

 

 

 

 

During the Civil War Sam Davis was captured while acting as a messenger. Instead of revealing the source of his message, Davis was tried by court martial, condemned to death and executed.

“Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends”

Although I have never been put to the test like Sam Davis, it is a tough self examination on the steps of Tennessee’s State Capital.

 

Waving_American_Flag Today, I believe Davis's courage and commitment lives on in the heart and minds of many Tennesseans and Americans who serve our country and the defense of freedom.

 

 

 

I take a moment to give thanks for the sacrifice of these men and women. Once again, I realize how fortunate I am to be an American.

 

No comments: